Monday, August 9, 2010

Green Cauliflower?





Bountiful Baskets moment. For those who are tired of the raving idea about veggies and fruits this post is not for you. so here we go..




Have you ever had Green Cauliflower? Yeah me neither until last week. I must admit we held onto this vegetable to the end of our bbasket week. Wasn't really sure how was it gonna be. for some reason I kept thinking of died green carnations on St. Patrick's Day. So we tried it. I knew my son would not go for just cauliflower.

He is a total anti-broccoli fan. But my goal was to woo him over. So how do you do this with my kid? well you coat it with Cheese. So I thought about how my Mom used to ofen make a cheese sauce for on top of cauliflower. Now that I think about it. I am pretty sure she was wooing us. I must admit it has been a long time since I have had cauliflower, green or not.

So I found a recipe on the web that was basically butter, flour, milk and shredded cheese. So because I am an annoying cook. pinch of this, dash of that. I read the recipe on my laptop and headed to the kitchen two hours later with a plan. I melted about 2 tablespoons of butter, added about 2 tablespoons of Pamela's gluten free baking mix and mixed this together. Then I added some Bay's Seasoning (my grandma used to use this lots I saw it in the store and grabbed it up to try.) So I shook a little in. Then poured in some milk (probably cup and a half) and let it warm stirring it pretty frequently until it was pretty warm and started thickening. I have no idea how long I was putting away dishes. So it is thickened so I threw in the 2 cups of shredded cheese and stirred while it melted. My son just eyed me cautiously for any dropped pieces of cheese. Have a mentioned he is a total cheese head. And proclaimed he could eat sauce with that much cheese on ANYTHING. We poured it over the green cauliflower. It came out quite good. My son ate the cauliflower. and I did to. I am almost considering purchase some white cauliflower to see what the difference is. Maybe do it blindfold taste test. Remember those Pepsi/Coke Challenges. Over Cauliflower? something tells me I would get the eye roll from the guys if I tried it. So it was good and a new adventure. I love having things to try that are veggies that I would never have tried before. Pretty awesome. And I gotta think isn't there a diet of some kind that makes "mashed potatoes" out of cauliflower. Well folks you can do Green cauliflower instead of for St. Pat's Day. although I am not sure it would pass the muster in Ireland for potatoes. haha.



On to new adventures and new tries.I am off to dig through the basket remains and look for another new recipe to try! What's a new recipe you have tried lately?

Enjoy!

Chris
Chris Durnan, designer at www.visualdesignsbychris.com files for your personal digital cutters for use with scrapbooking, cardmaking and other hobbies. Whatever your creative mind can come up with!


My files work on many machines. Some of them are: Klik-n-kut, Pazzle, Wishblade, Silhouette, Cricut, Craft Robo. Some of the software involved with these machines are: Funtime, Scrapbooking, WinPC/Signlab, Inkscape, Create & Cut, Illustrator, KNK Studio, Robomaster, DesignMaster and the list goes on..... Enjoy!


And our cutter file "freebies" are kept in the forum. We add to them as we can.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

My family love Cauliflower Cheese and we cal the green one "Broccolini" here in Australia. Yummy!

**