Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Puff pieces... puffy cheeks

Watching the news for me is a frustrating process. I  find myself purposely avoiding it. I don’t like my son to have to listen to it. I often wish there was a “do-gooder” news channel. I would watch it all the time. To see that others are doing something in life to be positive and make a change. I really don’t care that Kardashian’s got married/divorced. I think Mr. Bieber and his baby mama need to figure out their own issues.  I am not interested in so many of the personal stories they post. Yes it’s entertainment gossip. Maybe I am one in a million people who just really doesn’t mind not knowing. Maybe it’s because if a politician, charity or something is backed by a popular movie star I question it.  But this morning I found myself watching the news as I flipped laundry and prepped for the day and these stories really made me smile and happy.


First an article about a practice that allows you to barter for Doctor visits with “man” hours. Two hours of volunteer time trade in for a doctors appointment. What a wonderful idea. It builds you up as you accomplish a good job and you “earn” vital services you need. Just wonderful! Story


And the next was the new Ford Escape is being introduced here in the U.S. and manufactured in the U.S. Offering 2900 jobs to U.S. citizens in the United States. You won’t have to fly to china to work every day and learn a new language! Woohoo! And if the sales go well they will add another 1200 jobs for a third line . Fantastic! I may be biased. I have three Fords sitting in my front yard. But in all honesty, I would support any business that in this time can add jobs to our economy. (if this info is slightly inaccurate, I apologize. I was just happy to hear about the move to employee our own Americans) Story


And the next was an article about meals being made from Scratch for a school. In watching the food and veggies they displayed in the story, I had to smile. I wonder how many people eat out of a can or a box every single day. Or microwave meals. I chatted recently with a friend who stated that she truly believes that they will find in the future that all the cancers are caused by our highly preserved, genetically modified foods. I believe in simple foods. Yes we have boxes of cereal on the shelf and we have canned goods.  But I really try hard to change up that food. I cannot remember the last time we went to McDonalds. When we eat out it is a very picky process. We have a lot of fresh fruit and veggies at home. So when we go out the freeze dried kind just tastes Blah! In any case, I found it an excellent newstory to listen to. And the lady in charge is supporting her local farmers. She is purchasing locally! Excellent. In essence she may be the “lunch lady” but she is stimulating the economy in her area which are probably the families of the children in her school. Excellent! Maybe considered a “puff piece” but you know what I like the puff pieces . it makes my cheeks “puff up” in a smile.  ( I can’t find the video, but it is on the early show on cbs early show today. A show I rarely watch but maybe I need to rethink that)


I just wanted to share these few stories because they made me smile. Maybe with the times tough for many this is a sign of our America changing. A bartering system to volunteer for services.. excellent! Jobs in the U.S. instead of overseas… Excellent! Kids eating fruits and veggies instead of a flash frozen burrito…. Excellent!  And a lady who is changing lunch but stimulating the economy in her area… excellent! Seems like an upward swing to me.


If you see any positive stories I would love to read them, view them and continue to “puff” up my cheeks.


So yep I am rambling!  Have a wonderful day!
Enjoy!
Chris

No comments:

**