Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Income expenses from the eyes of a 9 year old

D is working on a badge for Scouts (webelos) that asks him to write down his income and monthly expenses. Well the puzzler is he is 9. The latest nerf gun was paid for by Uncle Bryan.

I like Scouts to be learning and impactful a bunch of empty columns or nerf gun purchases mean nothing.
Instead we discussed when he wants to move out for college and what he wants to have. Dreams and dreams. So we started expensing it.

And then the income column was harder as we figured how many hours he could work with school.
By the time we were done, my child has decided to finish out our guest room, live there and hitch a ride with Dad to the U of A since our office is right down the road. And he smiled and said... "Just so you know... I am never growing up."  

I thought to myself.... Ahh my love. There in lies the puzzle as I watch you grow up every day and try to hold on to every moment in my heart.

 Love my Life!


The photos are from the  Artist Badge for Webelos Scouts. Also, something he is working on this holiday break.

This requires some clay modeling, make an art construction out of anything you can use for constrution.( which of course would be Legos for my son), make a mobile and college that expresses you. We are working on this just after the holidays so that means Legos Legos Legos and happy smiles. 



Enjoy!
Chris

Tips from a past Scout leader... I am no a longer leader, but still get emails from folks asking what I think for fun ideas on working with a project. So ideas are... 

Artist badge is fun for a crafting Mom! and a Lego addicted child. :-) 

#2 is to make a scrapbook of the projects. 
A quick artist scrapbook is two pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper cut down to 6x6s. A cropadile or hole punch is awesome for a hole in the corner and then a binder ring. Also, I would get some precut letters and ask them to glue the word Artist on the front. A busy opening project for when they walk in the door. 

For the Collage about self. #10
I would bring magazines and scissors and give them one of the 6x6 from the scrapbook above to cover with images that express themselves. this way it is right in the scrapbook. And we used a Lego Magazine that came in the mail. Are you getting the theme here? 

For the primary color which I think is number 4. 
I would give them another one of the 6x6s and have them make color combinations with the three primary colors right on the 6x6. If the scrapbook paper is colored. I would give them a piece of what paper to color on. Lots of fun. 

Those are my thoughts on the Artist badge. Thanks for always asking. 



No comments:

**